Canada #263i 1943-1948 War Issue - A Lovely VFNH 1c Green Coil Jump Strip on Ribbed Vertical Wove With Smooth Cream Gum
A well centered and attractive and very fine NH jump strip of 4 of the first 1c green coil from the War Issue, perf. 8 vertically. The jump is between the two first and second stamps in the strip. There is also a slightly wider spacing between these two stamps in the strip (4.5 mm versus 4 mm between the other stamps.
This particular strip is printed in green and is printed on vertical wove paper wioth light vertical ribbing visible in the gum, and smooth deep cream gum with a satin sheen.
The paper used to print these coils is generally smooth on the surface, and one of eight types:
- A crisp, vertical wove paper that has no distinct mesh, and deep yellowish or brownish gum containing very fine diagonal cracks.
- Similar to the above, but horizontal wove, rather than vertical.
- Vertical wove paper and smooth cream gum. This often causes the stamps to curl slightly in the horizontal direction.
- Similar to the above, but horizontal wove paper.
- A slightly thicker cream wove paper that shows clear vertical ribbing on the gum, and cream gum with a satin sheen.
- Stiff vertical wove paper with brownish gum that has a satin sheen.
- Similar to the above, but horizontal, rather than vertical wove.
- Horizontal wove paper with deep cream satin gum and very light vertical ribbing on the gum.
- Soft horizontal wove paper with clear horizontal mesh and yellowish cream gum that has a semi-gloss sheen.
The strip offered here is on the fifth paper type, but with smooth satin gum. None of these varieties are listed in Unitrade, but in my humble opinion they are every bit as collectible as the listed varieties on the earlier issues. Unitrade value for a basic VFNH strip is $15. The grade of this strip is VF-80 as follows:
Paper freshness: 5/5
Absence of visible paper flaws: 5/5